COLLABORATIVE DRUG THERAPY AGREEMENT
Resources for CDTAs
In addition to just-in-time training, pharmacists can benefit from resources that local health departments develop. For example, as part of CDTA development, template resources such as patient screening forms, medication prescribing and dispensing algorithms, and medication fact sheets may be created. Many large pharmacy groups will use these documents to develop pharmacy-specific forms and handouts. Independent pharmacies may not have the extra staff or time to develop their own screening forms and patient handouts and will appreciate forms that can be provided for them. Below are some forms that a LHD may develop and make available for use with CDTAs.
- Decision flowchart: Used to decide whether treatment is indicated, preventative vs. treatment doses, vaccination, or the potential for resistance is helpful for pharmacists to utilize in the pharmacy.
- Screening form: A form that can help pharmacists screen patients for complications, contraindications and severe disease. Patients can fill them out in advance of seeing the pharmacist, which helps with patient flow through the pharmacy. Also, release of liability and epidemiological data can be collected on this one form.
- Patient information handouts: A variety of patient handouts may be necessary depending on the emergency:
- A form to give patients who received treatment to understand symptoms that indicate worsening illness or medication side effects.
- A separate handout to give to concerned patients for whom treatment is not indicated can help the frontline pharmacist in appropriately distributing resources.
- A handout for family members or coworkers who were exposed to infected patients may be useful in certain situations.
- Documentation form: While a screening form may double as this, in some situations a separate documentation form may be necessary for recording medications dispensed, especially when national or regional medication stockpiles are used.
Examples of the screening form, developed for an H1N1 influenza outbreak, can be found here.